Improving the list climate [was Re: Fwd: Fedora Weekly News 228]

dexter dex.mbox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 05:50:28 UTC 2010

2010/6/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy fedoraproject.org>:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 16:56 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> George - I think that you are very offensive towards people who
>> volunteer their time. It's easy to understand why Fedora contributors
>> don't actually want to participate on the user lists and get abused by
>> unappreciative, sarcastic and combative users.
>
> How do we fix this?
>
> - moderation?
> - a code of conduct?
> - ?

I remember list police being assigned when the list name last changed
they seem to be mia.

> I've found some of the behavior of a few on this list to be quite
> embarrassing. To me, it seems an alien island in the middle of the
> Fedora community that I know to be a genuinely warm, friendly, and
> welcoming place.

As you say its a few folk, nothing a moderator with authority cant
handle, failing that you quote yourself an example of the list
policing itself.

> Do we want new users to witness this kind of behavior? They are directed
> towards this list right now via a number of different pointers. My team
> is planning to redesign the Fedora website for Fedora 14, and I'm not
> sure we can in good conscience continue to point new users to this list
> [1].

Hmm I'm wondering a Fedora without a user list :-(

> do we have anyone willing to take on the responsibility of moderating?

I'll have a go if 3 other users are !!!

do I have to read this?  :-)

...dex