Looking for multi-DVD spanning archiver

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:10:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
> <dsavage at peaknet.net> wrote:
>> 'discspan', a Python script suggested by Richard Shaw, appears to fill
>> the bill very nicely. Unfortunately it just crapped out after burning
>> the first DVD-R on an RHEL5 server actually hosting the .../Everything
>> directory. I'm about to retry from an F13 laptop and an NFS/autofs link.
>> If it successfully gets past the disc #1 to #2 transition under F13, it
>> should finish after 14 DVD-R discs.
>>
>> I'll let you know in a few hours.
>
> Yeah, the last time I used it was under F11 and it worked fine. I'm
> trying it now on my F13 desktop and it's having trouble finding my dvd
> burner even when I specify /dev/sr0. It looks like it hasn't been
> maintained in quite some time. I wonder if there's a python guru in
> the house that would be willing?

Ok, a python guru I am not, but I did manage to replace the 'popen2'
call to the current 'subprocess' call which fixed DVD device discovery
for me. I still have to figure something else out though. When it
executed growisofs it crashed and I haven't figured out which piece of
it I broke, but I cut & pasted the growisofs call and now it's running
(burning). If I get it all figured out I'll put up the fixed script
somewhere.

Richard