F13 - goodnewws and bad news

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jun 6 15:32:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 08:48 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 09:19 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 15:42 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > 2. For more than 15 years I have found that the GUI partition
> > > installer hard to use and in F13 it is even more impossible to use.
> > > This is mainly  because the various options are hard to distinguish
> > > from one another. I know someone will say it was easy fo them but I
> > > challenge them in the basic configuration to remove the separation of
> > > root from home.
> >
> > Do you mean the root user space (typically /root)?  That shouldn't be
> > inside /home, and that's not a partitioning issue.
>
> No, the basic disk structure created by the partitioner has separate LVM partitions for /root and
> /home. I wanted to combine them to a single LVM partition. I failed
> miserably. It does not make much sense what I wanted to do but I was
> frustrated that  I couldn't  do it. What I really wanted to do is to
> have the partitions other than swap in a single partition. I got that
> done but I am apprehensive about being able to do it again on my laptop
> which also has a Windows XP partition. I find the whole GUI partitioning
> application confusing.
----
/home and /root are not connected to each other and could only become
part of the same partition if the / filesystem were part of the
partition as that is the connection between them. Of course
putting /, /root and /home in the same LVM partition is actually the
default so what you are trying to do is nonsensical. But since you
admitted that what you are trying to do doesn't make any sense it seems
there is really no reason to complain that what your are trying to do
won't work.

Craig

believed to be clean.