F13 - goodnews and bad news

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 6 15:55:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 15:56 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 09:56 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> think I admitted that what I wanted to do made little sense but
> > although separating / from /home in fdisk it is easy, it is pretty
> > confusing to do in the GUI partitioner in the installer.
> >>

>   I found the installer partition tool beyond obvious. Its not as
> powerful as gparted but it is simple, straightforward and everything is
> clear.
>
>  To me others I know that used it anyway.
>
>  That being the case, perhaps you can elucidate what you found confusing
> so those that can make it better can understand what may need improving ?

Ok, I have been challenged to explain my complaints about the F13 disk
partitioner. If you will bring up the F13 Installer Guide I will  use
the figures within to explain it to you.

Let us start with Figure 7.27 (Section 7.20). I got a similar display
when I chose: Create Custom Layout. Except instead of the logical
partitions / and swap what was misplayed was /root and /home. No swap
and no partition mounted on / could be seen. What could I do. So I
deleted the /home and /root and saw a Free partion in their place.

Now to replace the Free partition with something more usable. So I
decided to edit the Free partition and we move to figure 7.29. Every
size I  entered in the Size Box got a return that there was not enough
space for that sized partition. Even when I chose Fill to maximum
allowable size.

I don't find this behavior beyond obvious or even understandable. What
would you have done?
Q: How many college football players does it take to screw in a light
bulb? A: Only one, but he gets three credits for it.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net