Traffic Shaping / Bandwidth Throttling

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jun 6 16:12:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 07:23:19 -0700,
  Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:

> > Does anyone have a good suggestion that will handle this?
> >

> It's rather cryptic but you're looking for /sbin/tc.  I believe it has
> everything you want and then some.  There are also scripts out there in
>   the wild that have already been written that do what you want.  I'll
> look through my archive and see if I can find one.

A good start for doing this hands on is to read the LARTC Howto at
http://lartc.org/ . The manual is a bit out of date, particularly in regard
to using ifb devices instead in imq devices. However if you end up using
something like OpenWRT on your router, it's still easier to use imq, since
the router firmware guys either use 2.4 kernels (to support broadcom chips)
or for the really new stuff (OpenWRT's backfire), since back port imq support
to maintain compatibility. (With backfire, if you want ifb devices you need
to custom builds. It's not that hard, but is more work. Submitting an ifb
package to their project is on my list of things to do, but way down.)