Looking for multi-DVD spanning archiver

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:14:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Dale Dellutri <daledellutri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you looked at dar?
>
>   # yum info dar
>
> I've never used it, but it does do multi-volume "slices" of an archive.

Interesting. I think it's way overkill for what we're trying to do.
Apparently it will create split archives but leave the files
individually accessible. I'm guessing it put's a catalog of what's on
each span on the disk. In my case I don't need compression since what
I'm backing up is either a MP3, OGG, or JPEG. I guess you could
squeeze a little out of some of them but it's not going to get me from
5 disc's to 4 discs, and in some cases it may cause them to grow in
size.

Richard