How to recover printers on fresh install

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Jun 7 16:10:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 11:57 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>   Can you tell me where the authentications are stored ? Some of my
> printers authenticate to windows (via smb) and I'd like to recoever the
> auth information which does not seem to be in the printers.conf file
> (and is  not a part of the PPD file obviously) ?

Take another look at the Device URIs in printers.conf -- are you sure
there are no credentials there?

The "modern" way of doing this is to leave credentials out from the
Device URIs anyway and let CUPS/system-config-printer-applet prompt the
user for them when needed.  This uses the GNOME keyring so you may want
to check that...

Tim.
*/