Help required

Pallav Jain b330bkn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 16:43:15 UTC 2010

I like the fedora project and i installed the fedora core 11. and did the
basic tasks from:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/

As a new user, I had some problem:

"While going at:
 How to disable all interactive editing control for GRUB menu at:
http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_interactive_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu
my /boot/grub/menu.lst contents are as follows:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,7)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=9
splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586)
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 ro
root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586.img
title WinXP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

which is as if, I am opening grub.conf, amazing. I don't know why it is
happening. I request you to please let me know how to make it come or
repaste from somewhere in FC11.

Other details are as follows:

OS: FC11, WinXP also (2nd preference in booting)
Root login: enabled via editing "/etc/pam.d/gdm" &
"/etc/pam.d/gdm-password"files.
For any other software, (like, e.g., VLC) if I try to install, installing
via user account and switching to root in the terminal.

But as listed at the url:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#How_to_disable_all_interactive_editing_control_for_GRUB_menu

Nowhere are being seen the following contents:

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'

which should be in '/boot/grub/menu.lst'