sshd get path to authorized_keys file wrong

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:32:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 6:45 AM, Barry Scott <barry.scott at onelan.co.uk> wrote:
> We are seeing an sshd_config that used to work on f12 failing on f13.
>
> When doing ssh root at host:
> Jun 10 11:34:32 f12barry sshd[23030]: Failed publickey for root from 192.168.7.232 port 39169 ssh2
>
> Notice the public key file is //.ssh/authorized_keys.
>
> -------------------sshd_config--------------
> Port 22

I have two suggestions and a couple comments for you.

1) comment out the line with AuthorizedKeysFile

    In comparing your sshd_config with one from a working f13 system I
noticed that I had that line commented out, when I uncommented I got a
failure similar to what you mentioned.

2) modify the AuthorizedKeysFile to match the line below (the %h
causes sshd to look in $HOME/.ssh)

AuthorizedKeysFile      %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

Both of the above worked for me, after I broke the system by
uncommenting the AutorizedKeysFile line.

Your log it lists port 39169, but the sshd_config you posted has Port
22 - I'm guessing what you posted as your sshd_config doesn't match
what was in place when the log messages occurred.

I never allow root login, it just seems like asking for big trouble.
I always set PermitRootLogin no and use sudo or su - as needed after
logging in as a normal user, which seems much safer.

Please post another message saying whether or not the
AuthorizedKeysFile change(s) worked for you.

Mike