FC13 as a VM

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jun 10 21:35:07 UTC 2010

Jamie Bohr wrote:
> My initial question was geared toward getting generic advice and if
> someone else was successful getting FC13 installed as a KVM VM.
>
> Trying to install FC13 x64 as a VM on a FC12 (AMD) server with a running
> kernel of 2.6.32.12-115.fc12.x86_64 and KVM version
> qemu-kvm-0.11.0-13.fc12.x86_64.  The installer, anaconda, has stopped at
> random places from failing during the last few steps of the install
> process (performing post-installation filesystem changes) to the step
> where "transferring install image to hard drive".  Some times the
> install locks-up the device and other times a ctrl-alt-delete will power
> cycle it.  I am using the install DVD not the live version.  I should
> also mention that FC12 exhibits the same behavior, FC11 works perfect.

Much more useful info, I have VMs running on old (6600), new core2 (Q9400?), and
AMD X2 (FC11 on a laptop), and all will run fc12 usefully.

> Has anyone successfully installed FC13 (or FC12) as a VM on KVM server?
> If so, was there something special you did to make it work?

I have fc12 VMs running under fc9, fc11, and fc13, the last two doing production
things. Don't recall doing anything special, however, I am running all VMs from
qemu-kvm command line, not adding a a hypervisor to the problem. All work pretty
well, do add "-usbdevice tablet" to the command line, makes it smoother for a
reason I've forgotten and not about to dig from my notes. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>