Status of SSDs under Fedora ?

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:50:55 UTC 2010

On 06/10/2010 01:53 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting an Intel 160 GB SSD.   How would it work under
> Linux ?
>
> I'm using ext4 for that drive right now.  Is there a better filesystem
> for SSDs ?
>
> Is there anything that I should be aware of as far as switching ?
>
> Thanks

There are several tweaks you'll want to apply to prolong the life of
your SSD:
* align the FS properly (this'll be the biggest PITA to figure out
whether it's done correctly, seek help from google). Latest firmware on
Intel SSDs claims to not need this, but I'd do it just in case.
* enable noatime,nodiratime in /etc/fstab -- reduces number of writes
* if you don't much care for the logs in /var/log, turn them off or
redirect to a ram drive -- reduces number of writes
* switch io scheduler to noop -- speeds up random reads

This is by no means a complete list, just stuff off the top of my head.

HTH