battery botched f11 to f12 upgrade (macppc-ibookG4)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 04:02:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 07:08:09 -0400
> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
>> Joel Rees writes:
>> [...]
> Text mode may not have been a good idea, although it seemed necessary with the CD.
>
> (At the boot prompt for the CD, typed "linux text", for the preupgrade, hit the tab key at the boot prompt to get a list of kernels, and typed the name of the preupgrade kernel followed by "text".)
>
> It chugged away a bit and then the screen went blank. But the HD idiot lamp is flashing irregularly, so I'm just letting it go for however long it takes, probably about four hours, if I remember right from the last upgrade. (1.2 GHz processor, but the memory bus is only 125MHz or thereabouts.)
>
> The scary part is how I'm going to know when it's done.

It was nice enough to automaticaly re-boot when it was done.

> Hopefully that's enough that I can find what I need next time, and not so much that I won't be able to find it.
>
> I'll post the results tomorrow. (And check to see how incoherrent today's posts are.)

F12 runs fine, although some of the stuff in my Gnome panels (Show
Desktop button, Window List button, half of my workspaces)
disappeared.

Still need to get Apple hardware sound working, among other things,
but that'll be another thread.

Thanks for the pointers and tips, guys.

Joel Rees