How is (k)networkmanager supposed to work these days ?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jun 11 12:42:58 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> Last night I upgraded from F12 to F13.  Everything went fine except
>> when I booted I was without wifi functionality.  I got everything
>> working but I don't have an icon in my system tray anymore.
>
> 1) yum install knetworkmanager
> 2) select knetworkmanager in the Kickoff menu
> 3) Right-click and select "add to panel"

I'm running knetworkmanager but I don't really know why.
It does not seem to me to add or subtract anything to/from NM.
Is it a KDE replacement for nm-applet?

Ps I don't like the panel icon nearly as much as the old NM one
(with bars to indicate signal strength).
What is the new one supposed to represent?
It looks a bit like a petrol station pump.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net