Fedora 13 install partitioning issue

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 12:00:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 13:37 +0200, David Jansen wrote:
> I ran into an issue with the installation of Fedora 13. What I was
> trying to do was this: install the new version, choose for a custom
> layout of the partitions, and then have system stuff like / and /usr
> reformatted, but leave /usr/local, /opt, /home and /data partitions
> alone to preserve own data and software not installed from rpms.
> This is how I have done system upgrades/reinstalls fro years.
>
> However, with Fedora 13, when I choose the custom install, all my
> partitions are marked as type "unknown" and all I can do is select them
> and format them, or abort the installation (which I did, of course).
> This happens to all partitions, ext3, ext4, swap, and ntfs.
>
> Is this a known issue (couldn't find anything about it), a boot option I
> have missed, or perhaps something specific to the 2 computers where I
> tried the installation ??
>
> If these partitions were on another disk, I understand I can skip the
> disk as a data storage disk which isn't used in partitioning, but
> unfortunately, it's not on a separate disk. So, what to do?
>
> David Jansen

Hi

I have done two installs of F13 onto single ext4 partitions (No RAID)
and did not have your problems.
I just had to select the "/" partition and format it
I did not set either a "/boot" or swap partition.

All my other partitions were shown but left alone.

I used expert and askmethod as options when booting from DVD
and installed from NFS mount

I seem to remember selecting custom layout at some stage

John