How is (k)networkmanager supposed to work these days ?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 15:11:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 13:42 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> >> Last night I upgraded from F12 to F13.  Everything went fine except
> >> when I booted I was without wifi functionality.  I got everything
> >> working but I don't have an icon in my system tray anymore.
> >
> > 1) yum install knetworkmanager
> > 2) select knetworkmanager in the Kickoff menu
> > 3) Right-click and select "add to panel"
>
> I'm running knetworkmanager but I don't really know why.
> It does not seem to me to add or subtract anything to/from NM.
> Is it a KDE replacement for nm-applet?

Supposedly. I'm using it at the moment with no problems, but I don't
have a complicated setup.

> Ps I don't like the panel icon nearly as much as the old NM one
> (with bars to indicate signal strength).
> What is the new one supposed to represent?
> It looks a bit like a petrol station pump.

It looks to me like a hypodermic needle, but I get your point. If you
hover over it the scaled-up version is clearly meant to be a cable with
a connector, but it's rubbish IMHO. Nothing about it says "networking".

poc