nvidia driver strangeness

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Jun 11 16:12:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 13:31 +0100, Chris Ross wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 06:12 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > When I start up, the nvidia initscript fails with a segfault.
>

> I am seeing exactly the same issue on a brand new, clean install of
> Fedora 13 on a desktop machine. The result is that X won't start and the
> machine is essentially unusable.
>
> The only clue I have is that the nouveau module is loaded, despite
> having used yum to remove nouveau.

I don't think that's a clue to my problem, as (a) I have
rdblacklist=nouveau as a boot parameter, (b) the nouveau module is not
loaded on my machine, and (c) the nvidia driver starts just fine.  It's
only nvidia-config-display that's crashing.

For your problem, try adding rdblacklist=nouveau to the kernel line
in /etc/grub.conf.  The nouveau kernel module is part of the kernel
package, not the xorg-drv package.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences