Help required

Pallav Jain b330bkn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 19:16:12 UTC 2010

thanks that i am seeing the new things and one thing is for sure is that
Fedora and open source really is much much above windows in all respect. it
is as if windows is not at all secured with respect to fedora. tim, i got
your points but still the issues are there, which always remain or
flourishes.

>This password will only be used within the grub menu.  You can, of
>course, use the same password in more than one place.  But the MD5
>crypted version of it will be different.

(1). Does it mean that the grub is secured now, after implementing this in
the grub.conf file. (2). If the grub is secured and the only bootable is
device is only Harddisk, still the encryption of hard-drives is requried?
may be for the enhanced security.

while i added the encrypted password in the grub.conf file, now after
restarting it asks me password one more time than usual, that is, one
password of starting the pc (of bios), second after selecting the fedora or
winxp (respective) and third logging to that OS (fedora or XP). (3). But i
don't know why it is asking the second password in the blank black screen?
is it the effect of grub.conf file, which was edited? further if i press 'e'
at the menu display, i see the encypted password, so only authorised one
(like one who knows the password) can edit the same.

>Go through the steps I mentioned before (become the root user, go
>into the grub shell), and then use the md5crypt command more than once
>to encrypt the same password.  I'll show you, below, what will happen
>when I try using "hello" as a password.

>grub> md5crypt
>md5crypt
>Password: hello
>hello
>Encrypted: $1$bGXSc/$ei4zvY2hnl1PsrQWCSxoT/

>grub> md5crypt
>md5crypt
>Password: hello
>hello
>Encrypted: $1$ANXSc/$
>Fz9ehGl8NfmldHmJnUw43.

>I've typed in the same password, and each time it encrypts it, the
>encrypted version will be different.

(4). yes the encrypted version is different, but is it the last one that i
have to add in the grub.conf file (if for the same password i have used
twice or thrice md5crpty command)?

Here is the grub.conf file, i get by 'cat':

***

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,7)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda

default=1
timeout=9
splashimage=(hd0,7)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586)
    password --md5 $1$OS..............................
    lock
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586 ro
root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586.img
title WinXP
    password --md5 $1$TFSQc/$..................A1
    lock
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

***

Here, '..........' are the encrypted password.  (5). Why it is so that
'chainloader +1' is only in the second titles' section and in the first
title section it is 'root' while in the second is 'rootnoverify'.