Amazing problem of /boot

Pallav Jain b330bkn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 11:17:26 UTC 2010

today i am amazed to see that my /boot folder is empty and i am unable to
decide and generate the reason(s) for it, why suddenly is it happening, i my
self not able to understand though i have installed fedora core 11 and
updated all the packages via GUI, irrespective of the fact that whether the
package could be of any utility or not for my usage.

till yesterday everything was there okay and today /boot contents are
missing only the empty directory /boot is there??

The changes i did today:

1. Disabled the root login by uncommenting the second lines of the files:

/etc/pam.d/gdm
/etc/pam.d/gdm-password

2. Tried to improve the bandwidth, as per:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Fedora11#Improving_your_bandwidth

/etc/sysctl.conf edited, swappiness edited, noatime and nodiratime
added in /etc/fstab

3. installed preload and implemented the improvements via tmpfs.

I am amazed to see this THOUGH I AM ABLE TO LOGIN.

The output of the file /etc/fstab is:

********************************

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Mon Jun  7 06:08:04 2010
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or vol_id(8) for more info
#
UUID=a1198e23-8da4-47c4-90f1-d516fef0b796 /boot                   ext3
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        1 2c
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root /                       ext4
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        1 1
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_swap swap                    swap
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts
gid=5,mode=620        0 0
#devpts options modified by setup update to fix #515521 ugly way
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc
defaults,noatime,nodiratime        0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

and the command 'df' yields:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root
                      95846180   3353804  91519788   4% /
tmpfs                  1025444      4200   1021244   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                  1025444     18120   1007324   2% /tmp
tmpfs                  1025444         0   1025444   0% /var/tmp