Status of SSDs under Fedora ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 14 02:08:01 UTC 2010

John Austin wrote:
A clear description of what issues he was discussion - thanks.

> It would be highly desirable to have definitive answers to
>
> 1. Is "discard" set by default in F13?

It appears not.

> 2. How can you find what/where the default mount options are set

The easiest (may not be best) is to mount without options and look at the line
in /proc/mounts. I find actually testing is better than any documentation I can
read.

> 3. Does setting the "discard" option do everything that is required to enable
> TRIM to do its job with no further action?

I'm going to say yes. From a discussion elsewhere I have the opinion that the
reason it isn't default is that some SSD not only don't implement it properly,
they may lie and say they do. I have seen "lies about capabilities" in several
place, not just WRT TRIM, so I think there is an issue with some brands. I can
say that testing using an Intel X25-V worked with the option on.

> 4. Is it safe to use the "discard" option yet?

I think I would let you Google for advice, seems to work in terms of no
corruption, but I can't guess if it does anything, and haven't tried to do a
benchmark, since that would kind of beat on the device and I want to actually
use it.

> 5. How do you automatically set the "discard" option when hot-plugging an SSD disk?
>    (What controls the mount? hal, udev, XFCE, Gnome, kde, ...)
>    I am using kdm, XFCE and probably bits of gnome

I would look at udev rules, that's not an answer just some advice.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>