Which software for backing data up to DVDs ?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:37:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 02:25 -0500, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 23:45 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> > I need to back up 20 GB of Windows data from a hard drive onto DVDs so
>> > that a Windows user can access it.  I can read the Windows hard drive
>> > just fine.
>> >
>> > What software might I use to automagically split the data into DVD sized
>> > chunks and write it to a DVD ?
>> >
>> > It would be nice if it didn't put half of one dir on one DVD and the
>> > second half on another.  I know this will happen with any dir that is
>> > larger than a DVD, but it would be nice if it didn't do that for the
>> > rest.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/discspan/
>>
>> The just-released 0.2.0 version still has a couple of bugs. The --test
>> option does not prevent disc burning. You may also have to
>> edit /etc/discspan.ini to reduce the max size spec for a DVD blank by
>> 10-12M to prevent overflows. I've learned that not all DVD-Rs are the
>> same size. All DVD+Rs appear to be, and should burn faster.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> It does.  Thanks for the tip.  I've downloaded it and it runs.  I'll use
> it to write my discs tonight and report back.

Let me know if you run into any problems. I've been in contact with
the author and through hacking together some code to get it to work
with Python 2.6 was largely responsible in causing the rewrite. None
of my code ended up in the rewrite but the --test and --disk-start
options were my ideas.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong but when I tried to use it to
backup my pictures I ended up a disc short. I had ~21GB to backup on 5
discs and only 4 were burned. Like I said, I'm not sure if it's a bug
or something I did so I'm very interested in your results.

Thanks,
Richard