Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Mon Jun 14 16:40:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 08:20 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> In any case, I don't think the "hole" will cause much problems with Linux based systems.  When you read of the panic attacks people are having, it's usually about Windows systems.

Linux is vulnerable too, we should not be so complacent. Windows is, of
course, always targeted first because of its ubiquitousness, and there
are some design flaws in Windows (such as, the logged-in user often has
too many privileges) that make it more vulnerable. But let's not kid
ourselves and go around thinking we are invulnerable, because we're not.
It would certainly be possible to exploit this vulnerability on Linux
and do some sufficiently nasty stuff (such as turning your machine into
a spam source) that wouldn't require getting root access. It is only a
matter of time before the hackers turn their attention to Linux,
particularly if they know that Linux users do not have an update path
and are therefore likely to remain vulnerable.

--Greg