NFS

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 19:17:08 UTC 2010

Dale,

if your statement was directed to my posting... get a better grip..

i was using the well honed process of SARCASM!!!

every so often, on god knows how many forum/threads.. the issue of
"correct" posting jumps up... those of us who've been using email
since the early 80s no longer really care about the "correct" way..

it seems to bite some email police in the butts though!

peace!

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Dale J. Chatham <dale at chatham.org> wrote:
> Actually, I have had a rather pleasant conversation with a gentleman
> offline.  It is folks who post things like this which offer nothing
> constructive that encourage a flame war.
>
> Sometimes if you don't have anything useful to contribute, it's just
> best, well, not to contribute.
>
> On 06/14/2010 01:32 PM, bruce wrote:
>> oh my gawd!!!
>>
>> are we doin a top/bottom post flame war again!!!
>>
>> alright.. all who are frmo san fran.. which do you like, top, or bottom!!
>>
>> and what about people who like diagonal posting..
>>
>> and how about side posting... for those who can't make up their minds...
>>
>> any others that have been left out??

>>> Hmm, couldn't have been a real usenet user then...

>>> And I've been on dozens of lists, of which none of them used top
>>> posting.
>>>
>>> By the way, despite the "bottom posting" name, the idea is *not* to
>>> quote all of the prior message and respond under it.  But to remove all
>>> of the prior post that isn't needed for your reply.  Like I've done.
>>>
>>> Better still, is to intersperse your responses with the bits you're
>>> responded to, like I did (otherwise known as "usenet style" posting).
>>>
>>> Or, for those cases, where you're replying to a huge amount of waffle
>>> that defies easy editing, *briefly* summarise it before your response.
>>> Those who really need to see the entire prior message can look at the
>>> actual prior message.
>>>
>>> Then the next person gets to read a coherent conversation, top to
>>> bottom, and doesn't have to scroll up and down, all over the place, to
>>> make sense of replies disconnected from what they're responding to.
>>>
>>> order.
>>> this
>>> in
>>> conversations