F13: graphviz-php fails to load

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Tue Jun 15 03:55:13 UTC 2010

PHP is failing to load the /usr/lib/php/modules/gv.so dynamic library
due to an undefined symbol, zend_error_noreturn.  From what I have read
on the web, the missing zend_error_noreturn issue is usually due to
changes in which compiler is used.  The difference in how
zend_end_noreturn is defined depends changes with GCC version 3 or
greater then it was defined with GCC version 2.  Note that how
zend_error_noreturn is defined by different versions of GCC is
controlled in Zend/Zend.h (according to what I have read, I do not have
the php source code on my system and therefore cannot verify)

The error can be reproduced if you run the command "php -m" or "php
--version".  The command runs but there is an error message at the
beginning that states that it was unable to load the gv.so library.  A
temporary fix is to uninstall the graphviz-php package.

I first noticed this issue when looking at the Apache 2.2 error_log file.

Are other people seeing this problem?

Does anyone have a long term solution that will allow the use of the
graphviz-php package?

System:
     Fedora 13
     graphviz-php-2.26.0.2.fc13.i686
     php version 5.3.2 (cli) (built: Apr 30 2010 05:43:36)

Output from "php --version"
     [prompt]$ php --version
     PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib/php/modules/gv.so' - /usr/lib/php/modules/gv.so: undefined
symbol: zend_error_noreturn in Unknown on line 0
     PHP 5.3.2 (cli) (built: Apr 30 2010 05:43:36)
     Copyright (c) 1997-2010 The PHP Group
     Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
         with Xdebug v2.0.5, Copyright (c) 2002-2008, by Derick Rethans

--
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it
to change; and the realist adjusts the sails."/
      -- Anonymous