Another funny update?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:30:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 13:20:28 -0500,
>  Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Shouldn't there be a way for yum/packagekit to understand the
>> interdependencies when kmod packages are installed such that a new
>> kernel update is *not* offered if the corresponding kmod package that
>> uses it is not available?  Could this be a new yum extension I see in
>> the future?
>
> I think it can do it now. One approach would be that when a kmod is first
> built it conflicts against any later kernels. This should block kernel
> updates. Then when a kmod is made for a later version of the kernel,
> the earlier kmod gets an update that no longer conflicts with later kernels.

I used to use kmod-nvidia(-PAE) and what I used to do was:
yum check-update

Then if there was a kernel but no kmod update listed then I did an
update excluding the kernel -

Later in the day do it again and if the kmod is then available do a
complete update -
Is that so difficult?

I also used to use akmod-nvidia and found after some trial and error
that there was no -PAE version whereas there was a -PAE version of
kmod-nvidia-PAE so one had to be a little careful about exactly which
package to use!

Hope this helps.

--
mike c