Another funny update?

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 15 20:35:49 UTC 2010

On 06/15/2010 02:30 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 13:20:28 -0500,
>>  Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net> wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Shouldn't there be a way for yum/packagekit to understand the
>>> interdependencies when kmod packages are installed such that a new
>>> kernel update is *not* offered if the corresponding kmod package that
>>> uses it is not available?  Could this be a new yum extension I see in
>>> the future?
>>>
>> I think it can do it now. One approach would be that when a kmod is first
>> built it conflicts against any later kernels. This should block kernel
>> updates. Then when a kmod is made for a later version of the kernel,
>> the earlier kmod gets an update that no longer conflicts with later kernels.
>>
> I used to use kmod-nvidia(-PAE) and what I used to do was:
> yum check-update
>
> Then if there was a kernel but no kmod update listed then I did an
> update excluding the kernel -
>
> Later in the day do it again and if the kmod is then available do a
> complete update -
> Is that so difficult?
>
> I also used to use akmod-nvidia and found after some trial and error
> that there was no -PAE version whereas there was a -PAE version of
> kmod-nvidia-PAE so one had to be a little careful about exactly which
> package to use!
>
> Hope this helps.

Not so difficult, just seems like it should be unnecessary.  If there
are dependencies in installed components that will be broken by an
update then the update shouldn't be offered/shown by yum/packagekit
until the an updated dependency is satisfied (that sounds odd to me but
I hope you understand what I mean).

Kevin