Another funny update?

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 20:47:20 UTC 2010

On 6/15/2010 4:25 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Kevin Martin <kevintm at ameritech.net
> <mailto:kevintm at ameritech.net>> wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>
>     Shouldn't there be a way for yum/packagekit to understand the
>     interdependencies when kmod packages are installed such that a new
>     kernel update is *not* offered if the corresponding kmod package that
>     uses it is not available?
>

> Something like this, offered by default to nvidia driver users would be
> nice. It would have prevented the present mess.
>
> Another thing that would be nice is an howto on disinstalling nvidia
> drivers made available on Fedora's or rpmfusion's site. Last time I
> looked there were none, if I remember well.
>
> I do understand Fedora can't tell how to install nvidia drivers but it
> could tell how to uninstall them.
>
> If I upgrade to Fedora 13, will I be given a choice as to which driver I
> want to use?

Do you know that there are, or should be, three kernels installed on
your system?

Do you know that the new kernel is the one that does not have the Nvidia
module yet?

Do you know that the previous kernel, the one that was running when you
did the update, is still installed and that it still has the Nvidia
module available?

Do you know that you can reboot right now and select that older kernel
and this video disaster will magically go away?

Do you know that you can use this older kernel until the new module for
the new kernel is available for download from RPMfusion?

--

  David