growisofs crashes system

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 16 01:05:59 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 09:46 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 06/15/2010 09:18 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:ector number sometimes
>>
>>> changes, but that's about the only variation.)
>>>
>>> I then tried burning from k3b using wodim instead of growisofs, and that
>>> worked fine. Also, growisofs worked without problems in F12.
>>>

>> Just curious...  Does it also file if you use "-Z /dev/dvd" or "-Z
>> /dev/dvd=some.iso"?  My F13 system doesn't have a DVD/RW drive to try
>> for myself.
>>
> I had to burn another disk so I tried the "-Z /dev/dvd=some.iso"
> variant. At first I thought it was working since it got about half-way
> into the 3GB file, but then the system spontaneously rebooted (rather
> than freezing as before).
>
> Once again, k3b using cdrecord (wodim) burned it successfully.

Interesting.   Good to know you can recreate the problem without
actually wasting media.

Since in your previous example you used "/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0
-R -J My-Movie/"  I assume you are creating a DVD movie.

I'd have to dig up VOB's to try this...don't have some handy.  So, maybe
it will be easier for you to see if this also fails.

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -dvd-video My-Movie/

--
Premature optimization is the root of all evil. -- D.E. Knuth 葛斯克 愛
德華 / 台北市八德路四段