Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 16 09:04:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 10:15 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Actually, in the only criteria that counted, VHS was infinitely
> superior to Beta: You could record a whole 2 hour movie on VHS and
> watch it later. You couldn't do that at all on Beta.

And for those of us outside of America, VHS had better picture and sound
because it had a higher tape speed (when it came to the era of being
able to do three hour recording on both formats).  VHS didn't exist here
with multiple tape speeds, so we missed that mess.

And those of us who had to deal with the domestic formats in production,
one way or another, would find that Beta recorders would spread twice as
much tape through the machine when they fouled up.  Something like half
a metre of tape that was very hard to unsnare and get the tape out.

Although either format could do the M wrap, or the longer loop around
the head loading, they nearly always did M wrap with VHS, and the halo
ring around the Beta head drum.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686