About fedoras evolution?

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 11:19:02 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 03:47 AM, Mats wrote:
> Hi,
> I have tried to find information about fedoras evolution but haven't
> find an answer to the following question:
> How long will fedora 12 be supported with security updates?
> I'm coming from ubuntu and used to the idea with LTS-versions (long time
> support) but I like some of the security philospohy in fedora more.
> Will fedora 12 be a more mature and stable version in the long run to
> use? More tested and so on? I know that I have to do some of this
> judgement by my own.
>
> /Mats

Fedora doesn't have LTS versions. It enjoys a symbiotic relationship
with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS for that behavior.

Fedora releases occur approximately every six months, and each release
is maintained with updates until one month past the release of the N+2
version of Fedora. (So, Fedora 12 will be supported until one month
after the Fedora 14 release - approximately 13 months from its own release).

If you want long-term support, the right place for that is Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, which is based on a snapshot of Fedora development at
the time of its release and sees consistent, ABI-compatible updates for
seven years.

So with Fedora vs. Red Hat, you get to pick between the newest
technology and features (Fedora) vs. long-term stability and available
paid support services (Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

--
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.