Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 22:27:16 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 6/15/10, Dale J. Chatham <dale at chatham.org> wrote:

> On 06/15/2010 12:28 AM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > There was a similar problem 35 years ago with consumer
> video recording and/or playback formats.  Ultimately,
> the consumer chose which format it preferred.  They
> will, again.  It just takes time.
> >

> VHS/Beta?
>
> I'm not sure the consumer actually chose.  The porn
> producers chose to
> go with VHS and very little Beta porn was produced.
>
> The result is that we had VHS, even though it is arguably
> not as good as
> Beta.

The real reason VHS triumphed over Beta was the long recording times.  That's what people wanted more that superior image quality.  You could record a whole movie off the TV on a single standard play cassette, or on extended play, a whole evening of TV, 6 hours.  Beta couldn't.

Also, IIRC, VHS machines were cheaper than Beta ones.  Cheaper.  Longer playing.  Sold!  Consumers have spoken. ;-)