F13 -64 side-by-side with F11-32?

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 23:49:29 UTC 2010

Greetings:

I've got a ThinkPad T61 (Core2Duo-2.5GHz, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb disk) with a
working F11 32-bit install on their own separate boot (1012Mb) and
root (/) partitions. I also dual-boot WinXP when necessary for
work-related tasks. I've got two spare partitions (25Gb and 50Gb) onto
which I wanted to install F13 64 bit, and a shared swap partition with
4Gb space. Using the 64-bit F13 LiveCD, I specified the two partitions
to be the new root and home, respectively, and told it not to install
to the MBR. Install went fine.

I'd thought I'd manually modify the current F11 boot to boot from the
new install, but haven't found the correct incantation yet. In my
/boot/grub/grub.conf, I have:

title Fedora-13
root (hd0,7)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686
  initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.i686.img

When rebooted and this option selected, I get the message File not
found with the line above it displaying the kernel command. I'm pretty
sure I've got the hd0,7 line correct: the partition shows up as sda8
when I'm in the other F11. And the path from the root of that device
to the kernel (and the init) appears correct.

Obviously, I missed something in getting this set up. Should I have
installed the new Grub to the boot partition? Suggestions on
troubleshooting appreciated.

-- Ted