Restart F-13 download?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 17 08:26:30 UTC 2010

On 17/06/10 04:06, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Gene Heskett<gene.heskett at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 16 June 2010, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>>     I downloaded about 600 megs of Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso starting from
>>>     http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all  and a thunderstorm came
>>>     along and blocked my path to the satellite. A message popped up
>>>     indicating the download was finished. Of course it should be 3.1 gigs!
>>>
>>>     Is there any way to get that download restarted? When I start over
>>>     it does exactly that and starts downloading 3.1 gb again. My
>>>     bandwidth is limited and I hate to waste it! I suspect there is no
>>>     way to recover but I'm asking to be sure.
>>>
>>>     Bob
>>>

>> One of the advantages of using a torrent.  It gets checked for completeness
>> every time you restart the torrent client, so even on a noisy telco line, it
>> will eventually get you a good copy.  Torrents check the file 64k by 64k,
>> and if the 64k's checksum fails, it goes and gets it again.  The problem for
>> folks on a sat link is the turn around time, so it may not ever achieve top
>> speed.  But it _will_ eventually get it, one 64k piece at a time if it has
>> to, but only if that block is missing or bad.
>>

> Open a terminal. cd to the directory where the partial file is stored
> and run "wget -c
> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso".
>   Run a checksum on the resultant file to be sure nothing got
> corrupted.

Ok, that looks like a winner! It says it is downloading the remainder of
the file. It says about 4 hours remaining, good speed for this satellite
connection.

I wanted to use wget to begin with but didn't find the right url right
off and decided just to let it go from the Fedora download page.

I just tried rsync a couple of times on two different source addresses
but it kept giving me error message:

    [root at box6 bobg]# rsync -av
    http://fedora.osuos.org/linux/releases/13/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
    /home/bobg/Downloads/Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso
    ssh: connect to host http port 22: Connection timed out
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
    [Receiver]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(601) [Receiver=3.0.7]

Likely something I was doing wrong?

Thanks all for the help. I always worry about bandwidth usage since I'm
limited to 17 gb down/30 days and I am at 52% of that this morning after
yesterdays failed attempt.

Bob