Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 23:45:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 22:55 +0000, g wrote:
> Jim wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I have to leave it open because all the Emails I get from the FedoraUsers
> > Forum, If I left those on my ISP's Server, I would probably be getting
> > nasty notes from my ISP.
>
> shutting down desktop is not a good idea, as i mentioned.
>
> thunderbird has files open and by not closing before shutdown, some of
> the files can/may/will get corrupt.

Do you have evidence of this? If so, you should report it to BZ.
Shutdown procedures involve sending a signal that processes can catch
and use to clean up before exiting, followed later by an uncatchable
signal in case they weren't paying attention. Even if this isn't the
case when logging out of a desktop (I'm unclear how the various DEs
handle it), an email program can never assume that a server is available
or that it doesn't go dead in the middle of a transaction, or that the
system it's running on won't suddenly lose power. Any desktop app that
can't recover from this on restart has a serious problem which needs to
be fixed.

poc