Help getting WiFi working on laptop

Steve Johnson steve at parisgroup.net
Fri Jun 18 14:59:20 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I've got Fedora 13 installed on my new Dell Studio laptop.  I haven't had
any other issues with the install, and wired networking is working fine.

I can't, however, get wireless networking to work.  The card in the laptop
is a " Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250 Advanced-N +".  It appears that the system
has recognized the card, but I don't see any WAPs listed in the network menu
at the top-right of the screen.

I've followed section 5.3 of the Wireless Guide from the Fedora 13 docs
collection.  Everything looks right, up to step 5 where I'm supposed to see
my WAPs.  Two other laptops in the house see my WAP as well as a few others
in the neighborhood.  My new Linux box sees nada.

I'm thinking that maybe this card is too new and isn't really supported even
though the system recognizes it.  Looking at the driver lists referenced via
section 5.2 of the Wireless Guide, I don't see it listed.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the Intel 6250 is supported?  If so, any
ideas as to what's going on with my new box?

TIA for any help.