32bit Vs 64bit OS

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Jun 19 03:50:36 UTC 2010

On 06/19/2010 05:44 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 21:37 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
>

>> Its true that the 64 bit build of some apps can be slower than the 32
>> bit builds. However, its rarely more than a few percent. Hardly
>> noticeable, really. On the other hand, many compute intensive
>> applications that can make good use of the improvements in the 64 bit
>> instruction set really fly in a 64 bit build, compared to a 32 bit build.
>>
>> The memory footprint of 64 bit builds can be larger, but its not usually
>> by much.
>>
>> Overall, if your pentium/athlon machine can run a 64 bit system its hard
>> to imagine a sane reason for not doing so. The few things you must still
>> run 32 bit, like firefox + flash, run just as well on a 64 bit system as
>> on a 32 bit one.
>>
> Disagree here, as Firefox + flash (both 64bit) run just fine as is and
> don't need 32bit.

So, you don't find that if youtube is playing in one firefox window,
browsing in another window will frequently make the flash fall over? It
does on every 64 bit FC11 and FC12 machine I've tried.

As well as this, and as others have pointed out, the 64 bit flash has
been canned, and the last version is declared to have a serious issue.

Steve