Another funny update?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 19 04:50:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 21:22:59 -0700,
  Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruno,
>
> On Friday 18 June 2010 09:16 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > You can also set your system so that the default boot kernel doesn't change
> > when there is a kernel update. This protects you from the kmod being released
> > late problem at the cost of having to manually switch boot kernels after
> > every kernel + kmod update.
>
> How does one do this? Could you point me to the docs?

I don't know if there is a GUI way to do the following, but you can do it
with an editor.

To change whether or not the new kernel is the default for the next boot
after an install edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and change
UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
UPDATEDEFAULT=no

To change the current default kernel edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and
change
default=0
default=X
Where X is the kernel entry number - 1 counting from the top of the file.
0 is normally the latest kernel installed.