bad HD sectors

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 03:43:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to tell smart daemon to ignore the bad sector list
> that comes from the manufacturer?
> smartd keep reporting:
> messages:Jun 19 16:16:39 localhost smartd[1378]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT],
> 128 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> messages:Jun 19 16:16:39 localhost smartd[1378]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT],
> 128 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> yet I am not seeing any apps reporting read/write errors to this drive.

Hmm... I'd be surprised if smart didn't ignore the manufacturer's list
of bad sectors. FWIW, I just had a drive develop bad sectors and I
replaced it as soon as possible. It started with 1 but quickly spread
and some of my data became unreadable. Applications will not find the
bad sectors unless they read some data that are actually stored in the
bad sectors, and even then they may not complain. You could run one of
the disk test utilities to see where the bad sectors are. Or buy an
external drive and rsync your whole drive to the external. You will
see error messages if some of the data is unreadable.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter