Help with a printer

Mika Kuusela mku at lists.mail.kapsi.fi
Sun Jun 20 07:43:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 14:01 -0700, JD wrote:
> I have been using the HP LaserJet 4L for many
> years and it has been totally trouble free.
> Recently, after an automatic update, the printer
> prints garbage.
> I have asked for help from openprinting in their
> forum, and it seems this forum is not very active,
> so no responses.
> I have tried all of the PPD drivers that the printer
> setup  gui provides for this printer. None of them
> has helped. Printer does not have any problems
> printing under windows xp, so that rules out printer
> hardware issues.

If you have some idea about the date when the update that broke the
printing happened, you could try going over the yum history and then
downgrading the relevant package, see if that helps. And of course, file
a bug report afterwards.

I noticed that your package listing didn't include the hplip packages,
you should at least have hplip-libs which is a dependency of hpijs, so
that could be one possible culprit.