bad HD sectors

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 16:28:46 UTC 2010

On 06/20/2010 08:43 AM, Richard Shaw was caught red-handed while writing::
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Kam Leo<kam.leo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> You don't have to take smartd's word about the health of your drive.
>> Run the manufacturer's diagnostic.
>>
> May not make a difference. I'm not sure about all manufacturers, but
> on many consumer level drives the manufacturer software just checks
> smart, like on my 500GB segate that's been RMA'd 3 times so far (on
> fourth drive).
>
> I would recommend running a tool like MHDD which is available as a
> part of System Rescue CD. It will scan all your sectors and try to
> read the data off bad sectors if possible. I actually disected a
> System Rescue CD and pulled the parts off of it I wanted and have grub
> boot options on all my PCs. (Memtest, MHDD, System Rescue CD)
>
> Richard

Just downloaded the system rescue cd iso.
Will see what it does.
I tried to file for an rma, but the serial num and the part num
were unrecognizable by the support site. Strange!!
I had mistakenly stated that the drive was a WD. It is actually
a seagate, and the seagate site did not recognize the serial number.
Tried many times, to  no avail.