how to start Xscreensaver automatically

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Jun 21 13:05:03 UTC 2010

Gerhard Magnus wrote, at 06/21/2010 08:08 AM +9:00:
> I'm running FC13 with a gnome desktop and would like to have the new
> screensaver start automatically when I log on.
>
> What happens now is that I have to start the configuration gui manually
> using System -->  Preferences -->  Screensaver. I then get the message:
> "The XScreenSaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0".
> Launch it now?" Then replying OK starts it and the show is fine.
>
> Using gnome-session-properties I have shut off the old gnome screensaver
> program so that it won't start up at login and turned on Xscreensaver.
> But I still have to start it manually.

Unfortunately currently xscreensaver won't start if gnome-screensaver
is installed, even if you have disabled gnome-screensaver autostart
(more correctly, /usr/libexec/xscrensaver-autostart exits with status 0
  immediately if /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver is found), to avoid potential
confusion. You have to remove gnome-screensaver completely to use
xscreensaver-autostart.desktop.

Regards,
Mamoru