Configuring Evolution toolbar icons

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:19:37 UTC 2010

Hi Patrick,

On Tuesday 22 June 2010 05:07 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 23:30 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> On Monday 21 June 2010 01:47 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> How can I change this? I've already asked on the Evo list and no-one
>>> seems to know. It must be some theme magic, but where?
>>>

>> I think this is a desktop theme setting. I don't use KDE or Evo, but I
>> have seen changing themes on XFCE or Gnome affect icons in some GTK
>> applications. So maybe you could try changing the theme and see whether
>> that helps? A note though, if the theme you change to doesn't have any
>> icons associated to those buttons, you might still see the old icons.
>
> I have played around with themes. Of course I haven't tried every
> possible combination, but nothing I do seems to make any difference at
> all.

I just confirmed that changing themes in XFCE changes the buttons in
Firefox. Hence I am pursuing the same line of investigation. Things
might be different for KDE though. :-\

I might have a very dumb way of investigating this. On my system I
searched for file names with "junk" or "trash" in their names in
/usr/share/icons. This tells me the "junk" icon is found under
<theme>/<sizexsize>/actions named as mark-mail-junk.* or
mark-mail-notjunk.*. And similarly trash icons can be found under
<theme>/<sizexsize>/places.

So my suggestion would be to look for the corresponding files in your
current theme, and see if they indeed are so similar. If so, you can try
changing to a theme which has more distinguishable icons. With the above
information you should be able to make an informed choice. Then you can
file a bug report in Bugzilla against the faulty theme.

But if changing the theme doesn't change the icons and the icons in
Evolution actually match to icons from a particular theme, then maybe
evolution has cached some older theme icons somewhere and an Evolution
bugzilla should be in order. :)

> poc

Hope this helps.

--