Another funny update?

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 19:47:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> We have developers working really hard to make things just work in a
> completely free and open way.  they are fight a tough battle that is part
> of
> what defines fedora for what it is.

The best way to win this "tough battle" is to provide precise instructions
on how to get rid of NVIDIA kernel modules once there're installed. If you
can't dig this I don't believe it's any use discussing.

> I honestly don't care if you think we
> should support nvidia binary blobs or not.

Where did I say you should "support nvidia binary blobs"? Is giving
instructions on how to uninstall the module any way to support NVIDIA
drivers?

In my world, if you explain how to install the NVIDIA driver and get teh
Nouveau driver out of the way -- and RPMFusion does this! -- you support
NVIDIA. If you do the opposite, you support Nouveau.

If Nouveau developers can't understand this, my take is that, as bad as
NVIDIA support can be, Nouveau's going to be worst. Providing instructions
on how to install a driver seems to me like a bare minimum.