wifi access from laptop to starbucks wifi

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 19:54:07 UTC 2010

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 11:31 -0700, JD wrote:
>> Also, WPA encryotion can be broken by a notebook PC in under 1 minute.
>> WPA (and WPA2) encryption that uses TKP can also be broken in under 1
>> minute. So far AES seems to be invulnerable (as far whatever has been
>> printed publicly).
>
> I'd heard that WEP was crap, years ago.  But I hadn't heard that WPA2
> was that easily crackable, yet.

The problem is the "TKIP" part.  That is the old crappy WEP encryption
system brought forward to infect the newer standards too.  With WPA2 you
have the choice of TKIP or CCMP (AES).  It is best if one just turns off
anything that allows WEP or TKIP in the access point options.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCMP

-wolfgang