CUPS: PostScript vs. PCL3 vs PCL6

Steve Snyder swsnyder at snydernet.net
Wed Jun 23 03:46:44 UTC 2010

I've got a networked HP Color LaserJet CP4025 printer which is connected
to a RHEL v5.5 server.  RHEL v5.5 doesn't support this printer out of
the box, so I installed HP's open source package, HPLIP v3.10.5.

When configuring the CP4025 in RHEL CUPS my only option was the
PostScript driver.  I can print correctly from CUPS on the server.

I exported the printer via Samba, and I can successfully print from
Windows boxes.  Installing HP's current CP4025 drivers on Windows I was
only offered the option of PCL6.

I configured local printers on Fedora 12 & 13 systems, pointing them to
the CUPS server on the RHEL server.  I selected the printer model from
the system-config-printer tool and was only given the option of PCL3.

To sum up:

RHEL Server:	CUPS(PS) --> CP4025

Windows:	driver(PCL6) --> Samba --> CUPS --> CP4025

Fedora{12,13}:	driver(PCL3) --> IPP --> CUPS --> CP4025

On initial testing, it all seems to work.  What nags at me, though, are
the 3 different methods of page description.  Am I wrong to think that
mixing PostScript, PCL3 and PCL6 is a problem waiting to happen?

Thanks.