F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 21:03:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Federico Marziali
<federico.marziali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to install Fedora 13 on a Sony Vaio VPCF11C5E (F-series)
> and I'm incurring in the following 2 problems
>
> 1. If I try to customize the partitioning layout, I get a python error
> and the suggestion to file a bug. I just applied for an account to
> bugzilla.redhat.com and I might try to reproduce the bug once I have
> access to bugzilla. In the meanwhile, since I'm installing on a SSD,
> I'm curious to know if somebody else had the same problem with this
> type of hard drives.

Not sure what's going on here, but then again I wanted a striped LVM
partition (4GB SSD, 4GB SD) so I used System Rescue CD booted on a USB
flash drive to setup my partitions. I only let Anaconda format them.

> 2. More serious: the screen resolution used is wrong and as a result I
> can see only a portion of the screen content, which creates
> difficulties both at installation time, when one wants to click on the
> "forward" button :), and during "normal" usafe.
> After installation I tried to install the nvidia drivers from RPM
> fusion, resulting in a not anymore functioning system (the boot
> process gets till when the fedora logo gets "filled up" and than hangs
> there forever)
> The graphic card is a Nvidia geforce 330M.
> Specifying the parameter "resolution=1920x1080" at boot time didn't help.
> Any ideas how to proceed?

Try adding "rdblacklist=nouveau" to your grub kernel parameters in
"/boot/grub/menu.lst". This usually happens after a fresh install
because the initial ram disk still has the nouveau driver in it and
once it's loaded the nvidia driver can't load. If the proper module
blacklist was added by the package, which it should have been, this
will be taken care of for you at the next kernel update but it doesn't
hurt to leave the kernel parameter there.

Also, once you do that it will revert to a text mode boot up, if you
want the graphical bootup add a "vga=..." kernel parameter as well.
The best way to figure out what resolution is to manually add
"vga=ask" the first time and pick one of the available resolutions,
such as 317 or whatever it is. Once you find one you like (this will
also affect virtual terminals), add it to your grub kernel options but
put "0x" in front of your choice, i.e.: "vga=0x317"

Hope this helps,
Richard