Another funny update?

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:50:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:39:16 pm Marcel Rieux wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> > > reverse whatever it was you did to enable the nvidia driver, then you
> get
> > > Nouveau since its the default.
> >
> > How do you, for instance, reverse:
> >
> > su -
> > mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname
> -r)-nouveau.img
>
> one command
>
> mv  /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img  /boot/initramfs-$(uname
> -r).img

Oops! One MORE command. Before, Rahul Sundaram suggested that all you had to
do was

yum remove kmod-nvidia.

Kevin Fensi suggests I use these instructions on installing....
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental:

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/dcr226/nouveau-kmods-mesa-dri-exper/

Whose's right?

What I get from all this is that moving from NVIDIA drivers to Nouveau will
be the same kind of pain that I went through when I tried to install the
Nvidia drivers with the "help" from FedoraFAQ. It just didn't work and the
wrong information was never corrected.

What does this spell? When you want to get instructions to install  NV
drivers, you go to the place that provides said drivers: RPMFusion. When you
want to install NOuveau drivers, you should go to the place that provides
Nouveau drivers.

Tell me, are they there to be found?

Once again, and this is bound to be the last answer I give. (Michael
Cronenworth is finally turning out right about the excessive lenght of this
thread, not about the OT status, though.

The day Nouveau developers give enough of a shit about their product to do a
test on uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and providing precise instruction on
a Fedora page... I'll give it a thought.