differrence between 'yum remove' and 'yum erase'

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 02:14:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:50 +0530, Krishna Chandra Prajapati wrote:
> > remove or erase
> >               Are  used  to remove the specified packages from the system
> as well as removing any
> >               packages which depend on the package being removed.
> >
> But this relation is not reflexive.Just because program A is  dependent
> on program B being present, it does not mean that there are not uses for
> B other than program A. meld is a good example that is very useful on
> its own. Why should yum remove it when A is removed.

Either you misunderstood what Krishna said or I'm misunderstanding what
you're saying.  Krishna is saying that if A depends on B being present, and
you remove B, then A will also be removed (since B is no longer present).
If you remove A, B will remain since nothing it depends on is being removed.

--
Chris