F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 15:51:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Federico Marziali
<federico.marziali at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you saw the graphical bootup (called Plymouth) and did not add a
>> vga= then the rdblacklist= parameter did not take. If it does and you
>> don't specify vga= then you should see the text mode bootup version of
>> Plymouth, so I would assume the nouveau driver is still loading. You
>> definitely need to fix this problem first.
>>
>> Perhaps you can post your /boot/grub/grub.conf to the list? (this is
>> the same as menu.lst, in fact, menu.lst is a symbolic link to
>> grub.conf)
>
> Of couse, here it goes:
>
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora (2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64)
>        root (hd0,4)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64 ro
> root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_root
> rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=de rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initramfs-2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64.img
> title Fedora (2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64)
>        root (hd0,4)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64 ro
> root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_root
> rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=de rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initramfs-2.6.33.3-85.fc13.x86_64.img
> title Windows 7 DE
>        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>        chainloader +1

Let's concentrate here first. I know the email is wrapping the lines,
but where did you add the 'rdblacklist=' parameter? It should be added
to the 'kernel' line, doesn't really matter where, so after 'quiet'
you would want

rdblacklist=nouveau

> I wonder if I can just remove the nouveau drivers now that the nvidia
> ones are  "somehow" working.

Are you sure it's the nvidia drivers? Do you see the nvidia logo on
graphical start? You shouldn't need to remove the nouveau drivers,
just stop them from loading. Like I said, the first time you get a
kernel update it should be removed from the initial ram disk.

You should have the file "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf"

If you look at it, it will give you directions on how to rebuild your
initial ramdisk using dracut if you want to get rid of nouveau, and
the need for the rdblacklist kernel parameter.

Richard