Resizing LVM-formatted partitions

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:01:06 UTC 2010

My main disk has two partitions:

/dev/sda1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              26       20023   160633935   8e  Linux LVM

/dev/sda1 is /boot. /dev/sda2 contains an LVM Volume Group with 3
logical volumes (/, /home and swap).

I want to increase the size of /boot from 190MB to 500MB. If I use
gparted, I'm afraid of screwing up the LVM partition since gparted
doesn't understand LVM.

Do I need to mess with Physical Volumes to achieve this? I find the LVM
documentation unclear, and Palimpsest doesn't seem to address this sort
of thing.

poc