Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 24 21:21:02 UTC 2010

Jerry Feldman wrote:
<snip>

> My plan over the next few days is to run 64-bit 3.1 from Rawhide with no
> extensions with ntpd and possibly some other daemons disabled.

this will help. there are several daemons that can hog system for brief
periods and as long as you make note of what you disable, you can restore
them one by one to see if that is a part of problem. especially if any
wait for a response before freeing cpu's.

> Another possible cause is that it may be trying an IMAP sync to GMAIL.  The
> two tests here is to (1) change the timing, and (2) do offline and only
> manually get mail.

instead of changing timing, just disable auto checking. then you know for
sure. offline will definitely be a way to narrow down problem.

> After reading some of the posts on the T-Bird list, I'm leaning in this
> direction.

for sure. and note which are ms and which are linux.

> If things go well, then we'll re-enable some of these. I will install the
> 32-bit 3.1 with no extensions and see if that is clean, then install
> enigmail and a few other extensions after testing for a while.

for now, 32 bit is only way to get enigmail.

> The one common factor is that top shows Thunderbird using 100% CPU.

a problem with top is it does not show which cpu is being used by what,
and this can be a problem in troubleshooting.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.